I started this blog last year- thinking I would update it often, and then I forgot about it. Maybe I just needed a quick outlet? I read back over the few old posts, and they brought tears to my eyes. What a journey we have been on. I never planned to make this blog public, but have recently felt prompted to share our story. These days are just as difficult, yet completely different than the days I wrote about last year. It is strange to see what has happened to our family as we have struggled to live with Autism. We are less and less adventurous- now avoiding most situations that take us outside the home, and even avoiding company in our home. Recently, Brandon has turned a corner. With the help of an amazing Doctor, he is on a new medication that is helping make his home and school lives happier, and a little less chaotic. We, however, are constantly waiting for the other shoe to drop. It's like we've been holding our breath for 2 months. It hurts. We are determined to be braver this year -- starting with throwing Brandon his first "real" birthday party! It will be small, and well-supervised, but are still so nervous! Wish us luck!
We have also been brainstorming to come up with other things that may help Brandon at home, and in public. We met with his teacher this week, and she strongly encouraged us to get Brandon an iPad. She is convinced that his increased access will help academically and behaviorally. He uses one at school, and I have been very surprised at the progress he has made because of it (along with the medicine- they work hand-in-hand). His language is improving rapidly, and he has a sudden obsession with all things alphabetic. Does this mean reading is just around the corner? I hope so! So, it is time to get a little creative, and figure out how to get an iPad in our home sooner than later. Luckily, I quickly came across an article about a family living with Autism, and how they used ChipIn to raise money for their son's iPad. It's worth a shot, right? We are hoping to raise enough money for the iPad, a very sturdy and Brandon-proof case (is there such a thing? I hope so!), and maybe some iTunes credit for his favorite apps.
Here are a few articles and news clips that explain a little more about how iPads can help children with Autism.
http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/03/09/can-apple-ipad-cure-autism/
http://www.blogher.com/ipad-nearmiracle-my-son-autism
http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7385702n
We realize that having an iPad will not "cure" Brandon. However, an iPad, used appropriately, can help encourage positive and more appropriate behaviors. We plan to use it with his in-home therapy, and maybe as a way to make public outings more of a possibility. If having one improves our family's ability to engage with the outside world- bring it on! :-)
If you would like to contribute to Brandon's iPad fund, please click the "ChipIn" button on the sidebar. The process is fairly painless- and accepts paypal, debit or credit cards. Any amount is appreciated!
Thank you for reading about our little family! We are very lucky to have so many understanding and loving friends and family members!
*For some reason, Google Chrome does not like my widget. Try Explorer or Firefox if you are having trouble.
**Thank you to all who have already contributed! I am completely overwhelmed at the generosity and support!!

can I just say, I really hope you continue to write down your days with Brandon here. You may not know who it may help. I myself found it very comforting to see a mom feeling similar things. I have 4 children, my 3rd son receives therapy for speech & sensory. Its a blessing & a challenge. its just nice to read your feelings...thank you! (ps: Holly & Rick are friends of ours. we count ourselves lucky to know them.)
ReplyDeleteThanks Jenni! I plan on it! Hugs to you and your sweet son!
ReplyDeleteOh Sheila! My heart is so warmed by all of this. I am so glad you opened up this blog to let others have a glimpse into your world. You are such a wonderful mother. Love you!!!!
ReplyDelete-Aubri